Do you have a pet that is feeling unwell? Read on to learn about top signs that it is time to take it to an emergency vet.

Top Signs That It Is Time to Take Your Pet to an Emergency Vet

In the US, 85% of folks with companion canines consider their dogs part of the family. The same goes for 76% of those with companion cats.

So, if you feel the same toward your pets, you most likely panic whenever they appear ill. So much so that you probably want to take them to an emergency vet each time they exhibit health symptoms.

While many pet health concerns aren’t true emergencies, some are. Below is a guide on the symptoms that warrant emergency vet assistance, so be sure to read on.

Breathing Problems

Breathing is synonymous with living, so if anything impedes this process, it can be fatal. For that reason, it’s best to take your four-legged family member to an emergency vet if they seem to be choking. Do the same if your furry loved one is coughing non-stop, or they cough blood.

If your pet’s breathing appears labored, it’s a wise move to take them to a 24-hour emergency vet, too. Breathing difficulty may indicate the presence of fluids in the lungs. It can also be a sign of other lung diseases or even heart disorders.

Gastrointestinal Problems

Appetite loss, diarrhea, and vomiting can be signs of animal poisoning. In many cases, it occurs due to ingesting food that contains allium, such as garlic and onions. According to scientists, allium plant species can be toxic to cats and dogs.

Similar symptoms can also arise from the ingestion of grapes or food with grapes. Even the dried forms, such as currants, raisins, and sultanas, can also be toxic to canines and felines.

Either way, take your pet to an emergency vet clinic or hospital as soon as they exhibit such signs of poisoning.

Sudden Onset of Weakness

Botulism, a form of intoxication, can affect cattle, chickens, ducks, and horses. It’s not as common in cats and dogs, but according to some researchers, they can get the disease, too. Ingesting the toxin created by the clostridium botulinum bacterium causes this condition.

With that said, the most prevalent sign of botulism is muscle paralysis. As a result, it can also lead to chewing and swallowing difficulty. All these may make your companion animal appear to be weak.

Please note that botulism can be fatal if not treated right away. So, if you have a pet exhibiting the signs above, take them to an emergency vet hospital ASAP.

Sudden Collapse or Fainting

Animals that collapse or faint for no apparent reason may have a heart problem. For example, they may not be getting enough oxygen, which can render them unconscious.

It’s also possible they have anemia, which means they don’t have enough red blood cells. This can occur due to blood-sucking pests, such as ticks, fleas, or hookworms. It may also result from internal organ damage, tumors, or blood vessel injuries.

Those are all severe conditions that a veterinarian needs to address immediately. So, even if it’s the first time your pet collapses or faints, please take them to the vet right away.

An Emergency Vet Can Help Save Your Pet’s Life

There you have it, your ultimate guide on when it’s necessary to take your pet to an emergency vet. It’s also wise to call a 24-hour vet for instructions on transporting your pet to the clinic or hospital.

Either way, don’t put off bringing your beloved companion animals to the vet if they’re sick. This way, the doctor can do what they can to make your pet recover ASAP.

Interested in more informative guides on taking better care of your pets? Have a look at our latest blog posts then!

Leave a Reply